Thursday 16 May 2013

FEEDBACK ATTACK ARTISTSERVER: BLUES ROCK (V.I.P BY FALLING STAR)

FEEDBACK ATTACK ARTISTSERVER: BLUES ROCK (V.I.P BY FALLING STAR)

made in the 80s cruised in the 90s



ARTIST: FALLING STAR
TRACK: (Victory.In.Peace) VIP
GENRE: BLUES ROCK
PLATFORM: ARTIST SERVER
LABEL: INDEPENDENT
LENGTH: 4.23

ARTWORK:
[taken from soundcloud]
for the record, whats ur profession?




FEEDBACK TO FALLEN STAR:

I feel that you evoke the shoegazing sensations of 1992 Britain with this song.  Is it meant as an instrumental in its own right or in preparation for vocals to come later?  Judging by your upload catalog I would say it is a bit of both.  Can you hear how this sounds in Medicine’s Aruca? Or My Bloody Valentine’s Soon?  What kind of films that deal with throwback music from the 70's could you imagine this song layering to?  Dazed and Confused (1993)? Vanilla Sky (2002) or more recently the Runaways (2010)? 

Is it Punk? Or Alternative? 

Good work on the harmonica.  It is done as a solo you say?  It doesn’t seem restrained by traditional four beat bar timing and sounds to me like it should be performed live.  A bit like the harmonica in Tricky’s Sex Drive, it gathers steam, releases, comes back again, sounds like its going to die then shoves itself up once more.  How do you feel about adapting sequences of what I can only assume is your work from 30 years ago? 


"what you?
gonna do?
with your sex drive?"
Tricky

[other tunes with the instrumental uses found on VIP on SOUNCLOUD]:


 MY COMMENTS OF THE USE OF SAMPLE IN VIP:

"Fallen Star did something that blew my mind out of the water when I read it. They sampled their own work from 30 YEARS AGO (1983), and layered it with new instrumental arrangements (2013) to form an entirely new song. The song VICTORY IN PEACE to me channels a bit of Aruca's by Medicine or Soon by My Bloody Valentine in my humble opinion. It is an entirely instrumental experimental track and I hope that the artist keeps it on artistserver for long. To me the track is a story in itself, (we are informed by the artist that the 30 year old bass guitar was recorded live on a repaired tape cassette).  Falling Star is bringing back the dead, they are evoking a spirit of a different age for the new NME readers to step to. But it is their own work even before the aforementioned shoegazing tracks. Therein lies the soul in the track, in that the sound, the harrowing live guitar just cannot die, not in its age, not in this digital age, and Falling Star is proving there is yet something to do with their own work from ages ago. Or do you think EVIL DEAD is the only artwork that can successfully resurrect itself from 30 years ago? I haven't watched the remake so I can't answer that but from what I hear it is a matter of taste, alas I digress."  From FOUR SAMPLE HEAVY TRACKS BY INDEPENDENT ARTISTS


A TRICKY USE OF A LIVE HARMONICA SOLO LIKE VIP

                              


Rae Burnz (Leyman) 16/05

3 comments:

  1. Hi, it`s Mhairi here i.e. Falling Star`s harmonica player...thanks for the write up of our track V.I.P. (Victory In Peace), We have renamed ourselves Elephant Strike Force and you can find us on Soundcloud, where we have have 26 of our own tracks listed for streaming. Hope you will have a listen. Really loved the article you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://soundcloud.com/elephantstrikeforce/victory-in-peace?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, Paul McLeish who plays the bass and guitar is a talented musician of 44 years.....whereas I met him in 2013 with some poetry, a little understanding of playing guitar and a basic knowledge of sound engineering; bought a few harmonicas and some equipment and started to experiment in making music with him...happy days... :)

    ReplyDelete