Thursday 11 April 2013

4 WAYS AN UNSIGNED/INDEPENDENT ARTIST VIDEO CAN PROMOTE (ART OF VISUAL WAR)

 4 WAYS AN UNSIGNED/INDEPENDENT ARTIST VIDEO CAN PROMOTE (ART OF VISUAL WAR)

by day I am shy, but by night? well....







In the film the Boiler Room, Ben Affleck utters one of the most memorable lines of the film:

"Act as if."

You see it isn't enough to have slaved hours away to create the next masterpiece thats going to blow away the established music scene forever. No, you have to package it with visuals that get the message, your message whatever it may be across.

These videos, be they by self-starters, or from those affiliated with label developers, and students of media are four of which I think are using different ways to get and do the same thing; getting their music out there.

Some are playing with the system, some abusing, some using. You be the judge.

Here we go. 4 artist that want to visually kill it in the last two years:

1#

ARTIST: PHACTSUNKNOWN
TRACK: UNTITLED RAP
VIEWS: 281
RELEASE DATE: JULY 2011
FAN COMMENTS: "Big up!" "Big Track."

WHY I CHOSE IT: This guy is evil, even from the first guitar bar you get goosebumps from what is about to take place next. He chooses evoking slideshow images intersperesed with laidback but serious rhymes, haunting vocals, bio hazard signs, and texas chainsaw massacre effects.

2#
ARTIST: SKYRIDER FANTASY BAND
TRACK: UNTITLED RAP
VIEWS: 81
RELEASE DATE: JULY 2012
FAN COMMENTS: N/A

WHY I CHOSE IT: If this is the kind of atmosphere I would experience at a Skyrider gig then I would like to know where they perform.  Maybe I need to check on their Reverbnation profile.  I like how the acoustics is making the beat sound more meshed.  The video comes across as grainy, the people having fun, in between there are silhoutted dancers.  Fun, playful; exactly has raves in the puerest form use to be. Skyrider in this video is bringing that beat back like Chuck D from Public Enemy once said.


3#

ARTIST: 1UNDREAD

TRACK: ELECTRONIC TRIP/HOP
VIEWS: 422
RELASED: MAY 2012
FAN COMMENTS: "SPEECHLESS BY THIS GOODNESS......"

WHY I CHOSE IT:  I love 1UNDREAD'S humour. 'Massive Love' reads like Mezzanine to me. Visual effects completely captures the mood. The green, grass, dense below - Tom Clancy night vision - emerges from within the palette of moving images from the film Nosferatu. 1UNDREAD'S Malcolm and Nic; are masters at what they do, be it marketing, social networking, djing, vocalising, creating atmosphere everything of what they are is stamped in what they do, I welcome this play as another piece of their puzzle.


4#

ARTIST: HEATHER BRAVE


TRACK: POP
VIEWS: 9456
RELASED: DEC 2012
FAN COMMENTS: "Ahhhh wow Heather, I said I'd hop on over hear and take a listen. And just as I thought, you've truly opened this up in your own unique way. An amazing cover of this song."


WHY I CHOSE IT: She works with Rihanna's mentors and is signed so she is almost there. I prefer her singing to Ri's on this. She looks nice, a bit too safe but nice, I think there is something lurking under that sweety goodness veneer, and hope she does better and goes further in the immediate future.


Act and show as if



Rae Burnz

No comments:

Post a Comment